Dangerous Foods for Pets
Every pet owner has been there, furiously googling whether the latest food that the dog or cat got into their mouth is poisonous. It’s important to know about foods that are potentially fatal if ingested by your pet. At Waldorf Emergency Care, we strive to educate our clients on how to best care for their pets. Let’s learn more about the foods that are potentially toxic to your dog or cat. It’s important to note that this is simply a list of some of the most common dangerous foods ingested by pets.
Potentially Toxic Foods for Cats and Dogs
Foods that have the ability to kill your pet include alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, and liquor), apple seeds, apricot pits, avocados, cherry pits, candy (especially chocolate), coffee, garlic (and garlic powder), grapes, gum, hops, macadamia nuts, moldy foods, mushroom plants, mustard seeds, onions (and onion powder), peach pits, potato leaves and stems (the green portion is toxic), raisins, rhubarb leaves, salt, tea or anything containing caffeine, tomato leaves and stems (the green portion is toxic), walnuts, xylitol (an artificial sweetener often found in gum, candy, and mints), and yeast dough.
In general, it’s a good rule of thumb to avoid giving human food to your pet. There are many foods that are not on this list which are also toxic, can cause upset stomachs, or present a potential choking hazard. If you want to give your pet a special treat, purchase something specifically made for them, or do some research and find the perfect snack for your pet.
Did Your Pet Eat A Dangerous Food?
If you know or think that your pet may have eaten a dangerous food, it’s important that you don’t wait it out. Seek the care of a veterinarian right away. At Waldorf Emergency Care, our trained staff will treat your pet quickly, potentially saving his or her life. Act fast, call Waldorf Emergency Care at (301) 705-9700!