Unfortunately, your dog or cat cannot partake in the eating of chocolate as humans do. If you fear your pet is dealing with a chocolate toxicity incident, contact Waldorf Emergency Care to make an appointment with our veterinarian for an evaluation. Here is some information about this problem and what our vet can do to help if your pet is suffering from it themselves.
Signs Of Chocolate Toxicity
Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine. When consumed in large quantities, these ingredients cause a variety of symptoms indicating your pet is having a reaction. These include diarrhea or vomiting, hyperactivity, restlessness, twitching of the muscles, excessive thirst or elimination, panting, fast heartbeat, and irritability. If your pet is displaying any of these signs, and you believe they consumed chocolate, make a call to our vet right away.
How To Avoid An Incident
Anytime you have chocolate in your possession, it is extremely important that you safeguard it so your pet does not eat it. Keep chocolate bars or bags of chocolate chips in high cabinets or drawers, away from your pet’s access. Cover or wrap chocolate cakes or other treats with airtight packaging or containers. Let others in your home know not to allow your pet to eat chocolate of any kind so they do not give them scraps that could cause harm. Be especially diligent in watching your pet for the eating of chocolate around holidays, when it may be present in your home.
What Our Veterinarian Will Do To Help
If you believe your pet consumed chocolate, and they are displaying signs of distress, contact our veterinarian for an evaluation immediately. Our vet will check your pet’s condition and determine whether its stomach should be pumped or vomiting should be induced to remove the chocolate from their body quickly.
If you believe your dog or cat consumed chocolate and they are in distress, contact Waldorf Emergency Care to speak to our veterinarian. Reach our practice by calling us at 301-705-9700 to learn more.