If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site

WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

RSS Feed

Posted on 09-20-2017

FAQ’s on Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs from Your Waldorf Emergency Veterinarian

Dogs always seem to get into trouble when the vet is closed. Luckily, Waldorf Emergency Care (WECARE) offers 24/7 access to animal emergency care Waldorf when your dog needs it. Chocolate poisoning is one of the more common conditions that people call a Waldorf emergency veterinarian about.

sick dog in Waldorf, MD

Is Chocolate Toxic to Dogs?

Yes, chocolate is potentially toxic for dogs and cats. It contains both caffeine and a chemical called theobromine, which works similarly on the body. Humans tolerate these chemicals better than dogs, which is why we can eat chocolate without getting sick. The amount of theobromine in the chocolate your dog ingested is the best indicator of how toxic their exposure was.

How Much Chocolate Does it Take to Be Dangerous for My Dog?

Chocolate comes in a variety of concentrations. The more dark and bitter it is, the more theobromine it contains per ounce:

  • Baking chocolate: Up to 450mg/oz.
  • Dark chocolate: 130-450mg/oz.
  • Milk chocolate: 44-58mg/oz.
  • White chocolate: 0.25mg/oz.

Because the toxic level of exposure is dose-dependent, a big dog that eats a few ounces of milk chocolate will probably not have any symptoms, while a small dog that eats baking chocolate may be in big trouble. If you are ever concerned about your dog's level of exposure, call a Waldorf animal hospital. WECARE is your Waldorf emergency veterinarian for questions when your regular vet isn't available.

Dogs that eat chocolate may find themselves with mild symptoms at a dose of about 20mg/kg, or about 9.1mg/lb. Doses twice this high are very likely to induce symptoms and can cause cardiac problems. The fatal dose is around 200mg/kg, or 90.1mg/lb. Fatalities are rare, but can also occur at lower doses in dogs that experience complications.

Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning

Most dogs with a mild to moderate exposure will have gastrointestinal symptoms and other symptoms that appear like a caffeine overdose:

  • Vomiting and diarrhea
  • Increased thirst and urination
  • Restlessness
  • Panting
  • Racing heart rate

Severe exposure may cause all of these as well as additional symptoms:

  • Seizures
  • Muscle tremors
  • Heart failure

Chocolate poisoning can take a few hours to develop and last for several days. Having your dog eat chocolate is no fun no matter what, but it can be worse when your regular Waldorf animal hospital isn't open.

Visit Your Local 24/7 Waldorf Veterinarian at Waldorf Emergency Care for a Dog Poisoning Emergency

However, that's what Waldorf Emergency Care is here for—We provide animal emergency care Waldorf so that your pet can get help 24/7, 365 days a year. Call us at 301-705-9700 for all of your animal emergency care Waldorf needs.

There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.

Post Comment