If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site

WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

RSS Feed

Posted on 05-23-2017

Waldorf Veterinarian Warns of Toxic and Dangerous Foods Your Dog Should Never EatWaldorf Veterinarian Warns of Toxic and Dangerous Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

If you are experiencing a pet emergency, please call us immediately at 301-705-9700. Our clinic is open 24 hours, 7 days a week. 

Preventing Ingestion Of Toxic And Dangerous Foods For Your Dog

Because we are an emergency veterinary center, our Waldorf veterinarians often see worried dog owners coming in because their pet may have consumed a toxic or dangerous food. Understanding which foods can create these dangerous situations is essential along with keeping these foods out of your pet's reach. Dogs are clever, they are able to stand up to countertops, pull items from the pantry and open cupboards! Doggie-proofing is much like baby-proofing if you will be keeping potentially dangerous foods. 

Potentially Dangerous Or Toxic Foods To Avoid For Your Dog

1. Onions and garlic 

If your pet is experiencing breathing issues, vomiting and weakness, they may have ingested these foods unbeknownst to you. While a small amount may not be fatal, these two foods kill red blood cells and over time this may cause your dog to become anemic. 

2. Grapes and raisins

While healthy for humans, grapes and raisins may create kidney issues for dogs. A small amount can create an issue and repeated vomiting may occur. Excessive vomiting can also create dehydration. Watch for signs of listlessness. 

3. Ice cream and dairy products

Opt for an ice cube instead since dairy can upset the GI system

4. Chocolate

Dark and unsweetened are the most dangerous, but all chocolates contain theobromine which can cause tremors, seizures, heart issues, vomiting and diarrhea. 

5. Alcohol

We think it goes without saying, but alcohol is a no no for pets- it may cause liver and GI concerns such as diarrhea, vomiting, possible coma and even death.

Have nutritional questions? Call to schedule a nutritional counseling appointment with us at today. 

There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.

Post Comment